Skip to main content

My day

 Let me tell you what a difference a few days make here in Oklahoma.  They predicted it would get cold and today it hasn't gotten above 23° today. Yesterday I had my haircut and after I had gotten home I started unloading the truck we had that was filled with wood that "the man of the place" had splittin up.




 I got pretty much all of it unloaded except for what I could not reach in the middle. Good exercise if you ask me and heaven knows we're going to need it with these cold temperatures were having.
Perfect weather for soup and that is what I've been eating for lunch most days for a while. I make a big pot so it last most of the week and so easy to prepare at mid-day. Usually I'm so busy in the morning by noon I'm tired and really don't feel like cooking.
The one I made this week is 
Crockpot Sweet Potato Soup

4 sweet potatoes 
1 onion
4 cloves garlic 
28 oz coconut milk (dairy bothers me)
2 cups veggie or chicken broth
2 Tbsps dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

Dice sweet potatoes, slice onion and mince garlic cloves.
Place all ingredients in the crockpot and stir around.
Cook for 3 hour on high, then use a hand blender, blender or food processor and puree mixture until smooth

 I also went to Costco while I was in Tulsa yesterday to get non-food items mainly, but I did get a few produce and a couple of other things. But pretty much I've been doing very well with my pantry challenge. Tonight we're having meatloaf, baked potatoes and a canned vegetable which I have already on hand.




I can say I finally completed month 16 for our 30's club.



 This block here believe it or not took me the longest, longer than the paper pieced blocks. Usually paper piecing if my challenge but not this time. The squares in this block  finished out 3/4 inch squares are a little tedious.

 Seeing how it was 23° today I did not venture out for my walk, did take care of feeding the birds and tending to the chickens but that pretty much other than gathering firewood to bring in the house.

 I don't know if you noticed but I have shown very little hand work these past couple months and that's basically because of my carpal tunnel is really giving me issues. The end of the month I go in and speak to the doctor about having surgery. I really need to deal with this so I can get back to what I love to do and that is handwork.

I've been thinking about what I'll make my January


will be finishing my Vintage Christmas quilt




have this much done and still need to make the trucks.
Should be able to get it done, top at least. Don't think I'll have it quilted tho.

Linking up to elm street quilts






Comments

  1. you got the cold weather before us here in central AR - only got up to 38 today down to 20 by AM and little snow - high tomorrow of 26! then down to 15 I think tomorrow night - just a little blast of winter - I think by Tuesday back to the 50's. Hope you can get the carpal tunnel taken care of - when things start to interfere with with what you love to do it is time to take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uck...cold weather and carpal tunnel...not fun. The soup sounds really good, I think I'll give it a try. We're have really cold weather up in Michigan but that's expected...great for quilting! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is great for sewing, and cooking. But you up there more than me. Boy you all have been getting cold weather. Stay warm

      Delete
  3. Vintage Christmas is going to be so lovely when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I will forward to having it out next Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Love that vintage christmas pattern. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do so love the vintage Christmas quilt, a real delight. It was lovely to look at your sweet potato recipe, its nice to try something different. I make a lot of soups at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Vintage Christmas! Looking forward to seeing your completed top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you get any of the snow? It missed us, but we certainly got the cold. If it's going to be that cold, we should get snow. Good luck with your OMG, it's going to be such a fun quilt when it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woops chilly....... Great you have some wood....
    Goodluck with the carpel tunnel I'm having a pressure test next week.......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t