Skip to main content

Slow Sunday

I can say for a fact, my Sunday has been slow, a slow progress was made. Today I have spent all day prepping various projects I plan to take to a retreat I'm going to in two weeks.
Well at least that was my intention. I think I got a little carried away when I went looking for some fabric out in the garage and found a couple projects that I've been wanting to do for a couple years now.

Image result for Dreamy Hexagons Medallion Quilt

One is a Kaffe Fassett kit I had purchased on one of our quilt shops bus trips. 





And another was one that I had started, Oh it least seven years ago. Have all the appliquéd blocks completed but need to do the sashing and borders.





But the ones that I intended to do, which is a QAL over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict which is her Trip Around the World. Part of her 12 days of Christmas blog hop. Got the strips cut and now ready.

Image result for tumbling triangles pattern

Another is going to be a baby quilt using one of Deb Tucker's patterns called Tumbling Triangles. I have the strips cut out for that also. 




I cut out enough hexagons for at least another three diamonds to take with me to the retreat along with working with on the ones I had already prepped here before. 


In fact my Go cutter has been very busy today besides the strips it's been cutting the hexagons I've been working on also. 



Then I was prepping the hexagons for the Kaffe Fassett quilt top, which I needed to actually cut fabric and the paper hexagon shapes.



Now I have to say this is basically the first day I've been in my sewing room since the boys left Tuesday. I spent Tuesday napping when I got home. 
Then Wednesday I went with my parents to my mom's doctors appointment in Tulsa. This is been the first one I have been able to attend since the end of June. That was basically an all day event too.
Thursday I pretty much spent the day home other than going to the post office and getting the mail. I spent all day cleaning which was long needed after the three week visit of two five-year-olds.
Friday I went to Grove, Oklahoma because they were having their annual quilt show and also "Bob" was going to be there and he had brought my cutting table he made with him. So besides seeing a bunch of beautiful quilts and trying to get my mojo back, I also picked up my cutting table.
And yesterday Saturday, I spent most of the day inside putting around the house until it was time to meet my parents for dinner to celebrate their 56 anniversary. It has been so hot. Not just hot but also very humid this past few days that I have done very little outside other than trying to keep my plants alive. Haven't been able to take my morning walk or any other type of physical activity outside the past couple days
So yesterday besides putting around the house I also gave a lot of serious thought to what I want to bring to the retreat into weeks. It's a four day retreat so I'm capable of getting a bit done. And this year I'm going to have everything precut and ready to assemble and sew like crazy.

It feels good to write again,
so till next time
linking up with Kathy's Quilts

Comments

  1. Hope that all went well for your Mom at the appointment. Beautiful works in progress as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a place where we have to wait until she can have her next CT scan in Aug. Then we'll know what to do next.

      Delete
  2. sounds like you have been pretty busy - the heat and humidity has been awful here too. Hope your mom is doing as well as she can be with treatment underway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never have gotten totally use to the humidity. That is one of the few things I miss about northern California. Let I mentioned to Amy it's a wait and see time. Other than that I can see the wait and side effects have affected my Mom some, not positive.

      Delete
  3. It must be quiet now that the boys have gone. Hope all is going as well as it can with your Mum. You certainly have been busy, hope you have a great time at the retreat and get everything you want done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be too quiet at times now. Do miss having kids around at times but do like this time of life too.

      Delete
  4. I like all the projects your working on.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking projects! It's hard to get back in the groove but i can tell you're well on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your box of hexagon pieces all cut and organized and ready to stitch!
    Enjoy your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun at your retreat! Looks like you have enough to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t