Skip to main content

July

 Well, July came and went. It was a whirlwind of a month. 

It has  been somewhat busy. We had family from Utah and California come to visit this month so I spent a lot of time sitting around playing cards, talking, going out to eat, you get the picture.  I was able to get a lot of knitting done, because I can do that while visiting, but not as much sewing as I was hoping. 




The one big thing that I did accomplish for the month of July was getting the studio finished. The last thing done this month was to make curtains to go on the front of my ironing station and my cutting table. Very simple just did a casing to put tension rod through and now I have a beautiful studio. I just want to go in there and create all day. I’ve been able to do some of that. But right now I’m just gonna focus on telling you a little bit and post a video so you get a real good view of what my studio looks like.  Video is at the end of post

I’ll just give you a brief description of some of the tasks that I went through these past few weeks. 

In the cubicle shelf I went through each one of the cubes which I had posted that earlier in June or late June and it was a big surprise to see the amount of stuff I was able to get into those cubicles. 

In the cart next to the shelf, cleaned that all out.  which became a catchall for lots of things and decided it's going to use it just for current or new projects I intend to do. Except for the top shelf that have more sock yarn, finger weight yarn which I really do need to find another spot for that. 



The cabinet that holds all my yard, I did not touch. I did straighten up the top, that has boxes up quilt WIP's. I will get to the yarn later this summer. I’m planning on logging what I have on ravelry so I can find  yarn for a project in my stash.


The cart to the side of the yarn cabinet is a new purchase that I put it together. It's OK. It’s not as well-made as the cart from IKEA but it will work. I have things stored that I didn’t want to leave in the little cube boxes on the other shelf. Also, there’s things I don’t use often but it’s nice to have located in that room. 

I cleaned up around the quilting machine, underneath it now are my project bags with future projects to work on, and in the picnic basket I ended up putting in all my strips that I use for strip quilting.



 I cleaned off the sewing table so now I have this nice large space to work on specially, while putting on bindings or working on the top where you’re putting on the borders, you need a lot of space. I ended up purchasing and love the new drawers that I have underneath the table.  I did not have any drawers until now. All the storage I had in this room had either been on the floor or on shelf open shop . It makes a world of difference. 


 Added a writing station, whether it’s for journals or letters or watercolors.... whatever that’s an area designated just for that craft.


The ironing station I just added the curtains didn’t do anything with stuff underneath it. It was just fine and organized. But I did add a shelf to the top of the pegboard to put some of my stuff up there and out of the way and added a thing or two to the pegboard, but that was about it. 



Then on the design wall side of the room I have up there currently what I’m working on and that is a spring fling 2015 quilt. I’m moving slowly along on it but it’s starting to look so pretty. Pam @Seger Creek quilt shop does an excellent job of designing layouts for quilts and also just her color choices are gorgeous. Now the cutting table I did go through that and I ended up just putting large items in there due to the fact that the shelf are large and can accommodate that sort of stuff.  I have my extra Kenmore sewing machine down there, my serger, the little knitting machine, some extra fabric stuff like that, etc.

 I did was put a small chair in that room so my husband when he comes in would like to visit, he now has somewhere to sit. On my chair right now it’s just a basket with finish knitted items that I either have to weave in the loose threads so up the toes on socks  things of that sort.

I did forget to mention. I did add a shelf above the entry door and the closet door where I could store again stuff that I had either on the cubicle shelf or other places.  My gnomes looks so cute on that one and then on the one for the closet I ended up putting some cones of thread that I have on hand for weaving.

So I made a new video I didn’t say a word in it. It’s just a video of the room a few minutes long. I hope you enjoy,


so until next time. 

 




Comments

  1. What a great redo! Hope you get lots of time to stitch your way to some finishes while the heat of summer fades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. I have been and find myself wanting to spend a lot more time in there. Boy I can’t wait for this heat spell to pass. At least here in NE Oklahoma isn’t as bad as the Southwest.

      Delete
  2. It truly looks like a lovely and happy space to sew. Cleaning/organizing my sewing space always makes me happy. I am not sure why it easily gets cluttered again. Perhaps it is because I use it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have your sewing space all set up how you want it......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t