Skip to main content

Let's Catch Up Some




I'm back.

I thought I would share some more. 

Like I said last time, seeing how it's been so long I have a lot to share..... Past and Present

I should start with the finishes, and the quilt shown last week that was getting the binding sewn on, is now done and ready to display next month.


  




The pattern is Hocus Pocus and I used a jelly roll and layer cake for the pumpkins. Did add some scrap green I had and for the background I used my favorite Kona Snow. I like it because it reads white but it's not a true white so it's not as stark. 

The quilting on this has vines and leaves like a pumpkin but  does not have pumpkins, but I think I like it all the same.

Now I have to figure the next quilt to add binding to. Have a stack of quilted quilts needing their binding. I'll will share more about that next time, back to now.



The next two finishes I hadn't shown yet.

I always like to have a "to go" project to take with me whether it's an appointment, a drive, visiting or anything else. Usually it's socks, they are small and portable. It will be what is called a vanilla pattern, just basic plain jane. No pattern to follow, no colorwork.. etc. Here is the latest ones I finished this week.



I used Patons Kroy Socks yarn for both main color, colorway Woodsie and for the toe, heel and cuff, colorway muslin. I like Paton Kroy because it's a little thicker than most sock yarns, which I find that they wear better because of it. Knits up beautifully.

The next finish is using yarn, not knitted but woven

I had made what I call a sill runner, here is a picture of the one I did last year to go in the kitchen window sill. It helps protect the wooden sill from water marks that can occur because of the plants I keep in front of the windows.


A bit off track here but I am so loving the bloom on the orchid this year. I don't always get a new bloom each year... so it's such a treat. Back to the runner, as you can see under the plants.

Used the little cricket 15" loom with 100% rustic wool.


Needed to blocked the runner before I could use it, seeing how it was a few inches shorter than I planned. 


Ended up being around 7.5 feet. plus it lays perfectly flat now.



I had started the runner earlier this year and it feels so good to finally get it off the loom and now being used. Now the next thing... is to see if the cats can leave it alone, they have a way of just getting into trouble when something new is added to the house.


I thought I would share a few WIP'S I'm working on right now.

I signed up for a monthly Christmas sock yarn club.

The dyer is Freckled Whimsey Yarn.

So far all the yarn looked to be striped like this one.


It comes with a full 100gm skein and a 20gm mini that can be used for cuff, heel and toes.. which ever one or all you want. This is the first sock and the colors are more Christmas than the first pair I knitted. 



Still like them, self striping yarns are so fun to knit with. Fun to see what pattern will come out and I find myself knitting longer so I can just get to the next stripe. I should make this pair my "to go" project.


Then I'm making a baby cardigan for a friends daughter who had her baby girl a couple weeks ago. 


Very easy cardigan but I'm not going to add the mushrooms, keeping it simple so it can be used over various styles of clothing. I used acrylic baby yarn instead of wool, which would of been the fiber of choice. Used the acrylic because you never know if the  baby will have a reaction to wool. This yarn is very soft and will wash up beautifully.


Need to find some cute buttons. I hope to have it finished this week and give it to her next week when I go to see mother.


This week I made a batch of sauerkraut. Had two small heads of green cabbage which ended up making only 2 quarts and part of one jars.


 


I love homemade sauerkraut, and it is so good for our gut.

I prefer to eat it right out of the jar, which is also the way to eat to get all the benefits of the probiotics.

I want to learn how to make Kimchi next. I enjoy the spicy taste. Actually I love Asian dishes. 


The last thing I want to share is the audio book I just finished.

I have read the first two in the series of The Thursday Murder Club and just finished the third "The Bullet That Missed"


I love a good murder mystery and these having characters that are just a few years older than me is a fun, refreshing change.

There is one more "The Last Devil to Die" that was published last year. But I read there will be another one next year.

This ended up being a lot longer than I thoughts. If you made to the end, I thank you.

Till next time



Comments

  1. Your pumpkin quilt turned out beautifully. Love your woven window sill runner, very useful! Hopefully the cats do nothing more than sit on it. Grad Girl made kimchi last week. She had a hard time finding all the ingredients and so left one out. Said it didn't taste as good as what she's had in local restaurants. Enjoy finishing your WIPs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t