Skip to main content

Fall is in the air.

 This is my favorite time of year, I could just go on and on about what I love about Autumn.  Beside the cooler temps and the colors of the season, it’s the way the sunlight present such beauty to everything.  Just makes me feel so contented and relaxed.  

And wanting some comfort food like beef stew.



This weekend I spent some time decorating the house. I will show you all of what I did but I think I’ll  do it segments. That way I can tell you about what I used, how you can make it yourself or duplicate and just get to tell you so much more. 



This is the first piece I want to show. 


Made this 3 years ago for a gathering for NW Arkansas quilt guilds in Roger, Arkansas. Originally saw this online and just had to make it. Really... nothing is cuter than a pumpkin full of kitties. 

Poor little black one looks scared to death .... LOL

I wrote a blog post here on how I went about recreating this. I believe I also mention that I eventually found instructions after I made mine. Which I also left a link to that In the post too. (correction here, I tried the link on my blog and it directs you to the right site but the direction are nowhere to be found.  Sorry mine will be all to help you out)

This is one of my favorite Halloween decorations, which I really do not have that many. Actually for most of my life Halloween hasn’t been one of my favorite holidays.  I tried my best for the girls when they were young but I know I failed at being successful.  

But as I’ve gotten older and the years have helped at looking at it differently, it’s now mainly all about fall, pumpkins and other more nature inspired items. No ghost, freaky scary stuff. No blood, guts or gross thing’s too.


Now for a little of what I’ve been working on lately. 



Been doing some knitting... of course.
Started these socks this past week. Decided to do both at the same time. Using a skein I purchased just for a pair of Halloween socks. Came from Cardinal Yarns... fingering weight..  100% Peruvian Highland Wool in the color way “Pumpkin Patch. 
Just perfect.   Doing a vanilla recipe with my first attempted at a “fish lips kissed heel”.  I’ve heard they are easy to do and I’m all in for easy. 


Also this week started a cardigan sweater I’ve been wanting to make for some time now. No time like the present..



Using some yarn from my stash that apparently is not being made anymore.  I can’t even find any listing for it on Ravelry.. All I can tell you that it’s 100% wool, 25 gm balls and has a rustic feel to it. 



The pattern I decided on is the Felix Cardigan by Amy Christoffers. And you can purchase her pattern on Ravelry also.  Not sure about elsewhere.



This Past week I also did get out and picked some more Goldenrod that grows along side the roads near me. Very abundant here and makes such a wonderful dye. I’ve been experimenting with native plants and dying yarn 



After I’m done with this batch I’ll be writing about it. I really do need to make another video. I can show more about the process I’m trying. So far I’m liking the results ..... there’s a little teaser



Till next time



Linking up with Kathy’s Quilts

Comments

  1. That little black kitty does have the look of a wee bit of terror about him....or is it a her???? Your kitties all bunched together in that fabulous pumpkin are great. Both your socks and the cardigan are going to be lovely. The yarn for the socks is fun. Autumn is certainly the season to cosy down, pick up the needles and enjoy some knitting. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love your cats in the pumpkin, such a lovely Halloween decoration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words cannot express how much I am in love with those cats! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dye bath is a beautiful color. It's been years since I've done any dyeing, so I enjoy watching what others are doing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t