Skip to main content

What's Up 3-18-2020 Sewing -KAL-Socks and baking bread

It's been a while since I had something to show that's up on the design wall.
Up on the wall is one of three tops.


When my stepmother passed away she had been trying to make a quilt for each of her granddaughters. She has 5 granddaughters and was able to complete 2 quilts 



and was working on the other 3.
I had cut out all the squares she needed because she was unable to. 



So I collected all the squares, partial blocks and completed blocks to go ahead and put them altogether


I had to frog some of the pairs due to the seams allowance was not correct. Mom was never a precise seamstress and as she got further along with the cancer her precision worsen but she would not let that bring her down and she kept going. That was comforting for us to see her do what she loved up to close to the end of her life.
I will get these done for her like I promised.

Image result for oh no cat meme

I hate to admit it but I started a KAL along with the knitting a pair of socks each month.

It's a mystery KAL that Arne and Carlos are doing.  
If you haven't heard of them I'm slipping in their intro that is on their website.




Scandinavians Arne Nerjordet and Carlos Zachrison are highly regarded designers, textile artists and authors. They are best known for their original, colourful and visually striking designs as well as their craft books. Their work is highly influenced by their Scandinavian background and their everyday life in rural Norway. They work under their artist name ARNE & CARLOS, which they established in 2002.



In 2010, ARNE & CARLOS’ first craft book, Julekuler (55 Christmas Balls to Knit) became an immediate Norwegian best-seller and consequently went on to become a best-selling book in North America, Europe and Asia. Today, ARNE & CARLOS have published 10 books, which are enjoyed by people from all over the world. Their books are available in Norwegian as well as English, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Swedish.

The two Scandinavian designers have collaborated with many prestigious international brands, including Urban Outfitters (2009) and high-end Japanese fashion label Comme des Garçons (2008). Today, they design for and work closely with Rowan, Regia and Schachenmayr yarns.

ARNE & CARLOS’ creative base is located 170 kilometres north of Oslo, Norway, in the mountainous region known as Valdres.


I have the Christmas Balls book and have made a few. I enjoy and learn something each time I watch their YouTube channel.
On Monday they talked about how they are quarantine and thought up this idea to help others who also are like them with something fun and creative to look forward each day during all this madness.

This is day 2 block and day one is being blocked. 
Need to do the same with this one.
I haven't done much color work and figure this was a great way to get in some practice.
  

Using some DK yarn out of my stash


Here is a link to their blog with all the information you need

Arne and Carlos KAL

I would love it if you let me know in the comments if you're doing it too.

And this month socks are coming right along 


so close to being at the toes..
Not much longer.

Also needed to let you the know the bread turned out delicious.
Soft and tasty.  


I used some flour I had in the freezer so I think that had something to do with it not rising as high as it should of.


The recipe is from the book I showed in the last post

It's definitely one I will make on a regular bases.

Okay I think that's all for now.
Hope all of you are following the advise of the health professionals,
keeping your distance, staying home if possible and checking in on our older citizens. Calling to make sure they are okay and if the need anything.

Stay safe and healthy.
I am so lucky to have you to help me keep up my spirits and I can only hope I'm doing the same for you. 

Till next



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t