Skip to main content

What's Up 11/30/15

Again I have my hands in too many pots at the moment. First I'd like to share what I did take down from the design wall this morning and that was the UFO I found. the split nine patch. 


It wasn't much to put together seeing how I had all the fabric and I just need to cut out that setting triangles and the sashing,  just needed to assemble.  Did that yesterday and it stayed up on the wall until this morning, then I took it down.

Then I put up another UFO.


 I would like to get done before the end of the year and that is my chicken scratch blocks that I have been working on since I believe 1990. 



I have had them completed for at least a couple years but just put them away and hadn't done anything with them it's about time I do something with them.


I want to put them on point but the stars are not a perfect square so when I first attempt at it a while back I wasn't happy with what I was looking at. But time has passed and you know what it will be just fine.
So on point they will, be I just need to trim them down at the corners triangles to each block and then add the sashing that I want to use.


The natural darker color strip I have on the wall will be the setting triangles for the blocks 


The lighter which is also a very small plaid will be the sashing.
 I also have some more of the green to be the border. 
Have the fabric needed a just a matter of doing it now
I also am working on month 6 for the shops BOM's Farmer's Wife Sampler of the 1930's

 I get the blocks ahead of time to make  the store sample and then also check the fabric requirements and make sure that there's enough fabric. 


As you can tell this block is missing a piece. Just a small smidgen of the green fabric is needed 1 1/2 x 4 1/2 but there just wasn't enough left over from the piece given.


I have enough for this block. But I did not have enough for another block using the same fabrics that was going to be paper pieced. I didn't get enough blue. This is putting me a little behind on getting these blocks done today. I'm going to need to go by the quilt shop tomorrow and pick up the fabric. I don't have any of this fabric in my stash, otherwise I would just use it.

Comments

  1. Wow, those chicken scratch blocks are really pretty. You put a lot of hours into those. I love that feeling when I finally finish a project that has been around for a long time. Hope you get to experience that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll soon have three new quilts....where do you put the layers together? That is a problem I have at the moment.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kat,
    love your pngoing projects, the blue woven fabric I had too, used it in the Flags of the American Revolution quilt and that block has been quilted already. Quilt is not finished yet.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot on the go right now. The chicken scratch blocks are wonderful and such a lot of hand work I'm glad that you've decided to finish them. Isn't it grand how a little time provides prospective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are on a roll for getting things done! All of your work is so beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kat!
    Thank you linked this week's show and tell on Monday and the inspiration you give us !! Bambi Hug

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Split 9 Patch quilt looks great, beautiful colors for fall. The Chicken Scratch blocks are so pretty. I like your choices for sashing and setting. Happy Stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a split 9 patch before. I love it!

    Your chicken scratch block must have taken hours to stitch. I'm so glad that you're turning them into a quilt so they can be seen and enjoyed.

    Thanks so much for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party and for the link back. Aloha hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t