Skip to main content

Been busy

Image result for writing a blog post

I have been meaning to write since I came home from the retreat Sunday. Monday was filled with unpacking, cleaning and going over to my parents home to check in on them. All is well, thank goodness. We talked about my sister and aunt who are driving here from California and would be arriving that day. By the time I arrived back home "the man of the place" was home from work and it was too late to do anything else but dinner and clean up.
Tuesday was 30's club at Sager Creek and had plans to go but things change.
My sister needed to work while here in Oklahoma and needed good internet connection but my parents and another aunt who lives here did not have what she needed. Being   not what she had thought she could work with by talking to my aunt, because she was going to stay with her during the week while needing to work and weekends with my parents. That's changed, she is now staying here and we have been working out a routine.
So here it is Friday and I'm finally writing.

At the retreat I had the best time, some of the ladies I haven't seen since last year's retreat. The weather was so different this year.....it rained some each day......perfect quilting weather.
I was able to make two tops using 2 patterns I been wanting to try for a while and almost completed another.




This is a baby quilt using one of 180 Design patterns called Tumbling Triangles using her V block trimmer.

 I like how it looks and will make this one again.



Then this pattern had peaked my interest because I figured it can be tried other ways than a large print fabric like I did here. Could use a panel, solid colors or a scrappy strips. Such a simple quilt and will be made again too. Great donation quilt.



Had this piece of vintage looking Hawaiian print that I thought would work, it did but I'm not too happy with the background fabric I took. If I was home I think I would've used the dark blue for the background. Still like it tho.



The third top is now up on the wall being finished. I had cut out all the quilts ahead at home to take, to save time but with this one, one of the dark strips needed for the sashing strip sets was cut wrong. 



But now I'm getting it done, next hurdle is that the pattern is shown in a light border but if you were to look in one of her books which the quilt is shown you'll see the border is dark I love the dark border and had to order some fabric to complete and I'm waiting for that now.

Here are a taste of some of what others were working on....

ENJOY

OUR YOUNGEST AND JUST STARTED QUILTING ATTENDEE












 Well that it is all for now but I am working a tutorial on how I made this portable design wall.
Hope to post that in a day or two.

Linking up with


Comments

  1. so many lovely quilts but especially love the hexie star quilt - where was the retreat? glad you had fun have a nice visit with your sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the beautiful quilt picture show. They are all very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilts--especially like those blue on blue circles...gorgeous hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Tumbling Triangles quilt is absolutely darling! I actually rally like the background fabric on your Let It Snow Again quilt. You are right about the dark borders on that one! Thanks for the show and tell - there were some very talented ladies at your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my what a fun post! :) The tumbling triangles is amazing. I enjoyed seeing what you are working on and the others as a bonus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your retreat projects. The dark blue and white one really caught my eye. Hope you can work in some time for stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t