Skip to main content

Good Intentions


I had planned that this past weekend would be like most weekends and that is "The Man of the Place" would be tending the cows and I would be home doing my chores and maybe some sewing. I had plans to try to finish up my Easy Street. But this weekend was going to be different, seeing how my father-in-law was not going to be able to help with the feeding of the cows. That meant I get to help, it's been awhile and I have to admit I have missed it.

 My job is to drive the feed truck, that is loaded with 3 bales of hay, drive out to the pasture where needed and put the hay out to the cows. 
 Here they come, its funny about cows most of the time they will walk single file to where they are going and if one of the cows stop all the ones behind that cow stop too. No one will go around, they will just stand there and wait.
 Someone is trying to sneak a nibble of hay, one of my jobs is to try to keep them off the bales.
 I get 3 bales on the truck I drive.

 We have 3 pasture we have cows in and I follow "The Man of the Place" to where he knows the hay rings are. 

 There was not a cow to be seen in this pasture until the tractor came with the hay.



My other job was to cut the netting on the bales so I can remove it when the bale is lifted and moved to where they need to be.

This is one of my cow's Snickers babies; This is Cherry (Mash). Remember I name all of Snickers babies after candy bars.

 This is one of our new calves, isn't she cute.



On our place we have Bald Eagles that come every winter. That day I saw 3 eagles and this one stayed perched long enough for me to take picture and then it flew off.
              
 On my father-in-law place is this old cemetery. 


It was such a nice weekend we decided to go to a State Park near by, Natural Falls. Has some hiking trails and one leads to the falls.  
 Very Pretty
 It has been so cold the past week that some of the dripping spring water has froze on this rock and still was frozen the day we were there.



Comments

  1. oh I love reading your posts. The falls looked like such a nice place to take a dip until you showed the ice, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way for us to see what your day can be like when you are not quilting! You are definitely a hard worker. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cows. :) Yes, that baby is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing us around it looks like you had a great day and your babies are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this post so much....I used to subscribe to Farm and Ranch magazine just to read the diaries of life on the different farms.....I didn't grow up on a farm although at one time we did have a cow for milk and chickens for eggs...and from time to time my family would have a hog on someone else's place that they helped feed and then slaughtered for the meat...Honey Bear and I had a heard of Black Angus cows for a few years, they calved and the calves were taken to sale....It was still a small spread and I enjoy reading about the bigger ones like yours.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny that they all line up! And $150.00 for a burial plot, holy cow! What a deal!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t