Skip to main content

Tid bits and Poinsettia Care

What a perfect Sunday and feeling blessed.... which hope yours is too.


Was able to get a little sewing in this morning, this Tuesday is 30's Club and I want to have Jan. and Feb. BOM ready to give Pam so she can make up kits for participance.

Along with sewing I cooked up a double batch of no-salt spaghetti sauce to share with my parents. Tomorrow mom has her CHF check up and just give it to them.


This evening I plan on doing a few more hats to donate to

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Affiliate/Little-Hats-Big-Hearts_UCM_487734_SubHomePage.jsp
I am running out of this soft red yarn. 




Do have this 



but I find it scratchy which I can use on something else, so maybe when in Tulsa I'll go by Joann's or something to get some soft yarn.

And work on weaving up some more wash clothes.




I have 2 blooming poinsettia plants (Euphorbia pulcherrima) so far this year and it is one of my favorite houseplants that I eagerly wait each year to have. 
This one I picked up today when I went to get stuff for sauce, it was marked down.



All I could find were these couple spots for the reason of the mark down, nothing much to be concern about. Chances its due to condition of the humidity and or watering. I'll just remove the effected bracts by cutting each bract off.




 There are a few things to know in order to have poinsettia thrive in your home.
What kind of light does it need. Place it near a sunny window. South, east or west facing windows will make them very happy, more so than a north facing window. Poinsettias are tropicals and will appreciate as much direct sunlight as you can provide.

Your poinsettia likes it if you can maintain a temperature of 65 - 75 degrees F.
during the day. Night temperature can drop to about 60 degrees F. and will not hurt the plant. Cold drafts or allowing the leaves to touch a cold window can injure the leaves and cause premature leaf drop. If you've ever seen a leggy poinsettia in bloom, with only a couple of sad looking leaves hanging on, it was probably exposed to temperatures that were too cool or to extreme shifts in temperature.


Water the plant whenever the surface feels dry to the touch. Water until it drains out the bottom, but do not let the plant sit in water. So it is best to take the foil wrap off and drain the water. You can just leave it off if you wish. Wilting is another common cause of leaf drop. A wilted plant can be revived and salvaged, but it will take another season to improve its appearance.

Try to provide some humidity if you can because if the house tends to be dry and your poinsettia is in direct light, you will find yourself watering frequently, possibly every day.

There is no evidence that they are toxic or unsafe to have in the house.
And they are also safe to put into the compost if they do not make it through this season or another.

With that said you Should Still Use Caution when Handling Poinsettias
A more likely problem to watch out for is contact dermatitis. Euphorbias, the plant family that includes poinsettias, exude a milky sap when broken. Think of milkweed, another common Euphorbia. Many people are sensitive to this sap, which can cause an itchy rash. Be especially careful not to rub your eyes after touching the plants. To be safe, wash your hands after handling a poinsettia plant and try to avid pinching or pruning them with your hands.

They're beautiful, they're safe, and they say Christmas. The only remaining question is whether to save them from year to year. 





Continue burning the Christmas candle
DAY 10 before we know it Christmas will be here.


Linking up with Kathy


Comments

  1. The 30s prints and blocks are classics. Nice knitting charity projects. What a pretty bargain poinsetta plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little loom you have :)

    Love your 30’s Block. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What useful information....I will have to go and check my mother's plant....thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poinsettia tips. I now know why they're so unhappy at our very dry and quite cold house, poor things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t