Skip to main content

Evolution of a Lister




I have kept lists of things to do, things to remember, just lists and more lists for a very long time. I would keep my first lists just on scraps of paper. Then when I started college it was on note pads. Then when I started teaching that notepad got clipped onto a clipboard. I did that for years probably at least 15 years.


 

I bought a padded folding clipboard portfolio  And then would carry that around on occasion but mainly kept it at work or at home. I found it kind of big and cumbersome to haul around with me all the time.
I would keep my sheets of lists for a while but then after sometime I would have the pile of tattered pages, what a mess.
So I would just throw them away. I also during this time had a journal. I started keeping one when I was a teenager and continue this.
I would do really well on keeping up with entries in my journal but of course there would be times I wouldn't have anything written. And that would be normal.
But when I started blogging I come to realize I was very seldom writing in my journal anymore. I really miss that.



  I have been using composition book to keep my lists in and then one day I decided to start writing in that notebook, reflections of my day. 
That was like a Eureka moment. Here I have a daily task list showing the things I did in a day and then I had reflections of thoughts, events etc. written also.



I really like that. So now that composition book is what I use for to do lists and journal in. It's nothing pretty, just practical actually. I give no thought whatsoever to what it looks like and then when I went to my daughters I noticed her planner and how she would do a little journaling in her and keep her things to do and many other lists in her planner.
Well I fell in love with it and sometimes when I fall in love with something I can get very impulsive without thinking.
That is what I did. I told myself it was an early Christmas present to myself. Need to be for the cost I was spending. That is what impulse buying does.



Got a Filofax and 



the insert like my daughter had, which came from Inkwell Press. Wonderful planner and would recommend it to others who like printed planners. 
I didn't stop there I purchase stamps and the ink pads, again like my daughter. No stickers thou, not into stickers. A couple rolls of whasi tape which I love. Some more color pens. I was set to go.
Then after I came down from this impulsive 
buying, reality set in and I need to figure out how I could get this to work for me.
Do what I've been doing and putting it into a planner. So I started to check out what others were doing with their planners and see what I could use. 
That is when I started to think that maybe this isn't the way I should be going. I want to continue having  planner and personal journal together. Can do it with what I bought but I wanted it to be something I can keep like my past journals. Being in a binder and not wanting to buy a new binder each year, I'm starting to think I made a mistake for me. That is when I came across this system called Bullet Journal
It had ME all written over it.

So I am re-gifting my Filofax and planner to my youngest daughter for Christmas.

My next post will show you what and how I'm doing my Bullet Journal.


Image result for happy new year banner






Comments

  1. Sounds like an interesting journal technique. I long ago learned that analog doesn't work for me. I'm going to have to stick with my form of digital record keeping. Though I love all those paper notebooks meant for keeping a journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, as a life long list maker and journal keeper you had me nodding my head in agreement and smiling knowingly to myself about styles and types of notebooks to use. I love the compostion notebooks for journals and began volume 75 on my 60th birthday last July. Most of the journals include to lists, ideas, sketches and airbrained ideas, most covers are the traditioal black and white but over the years when the creativity overflows I have covered them in fabric, collage and paint. Happy New Year and Happy Journaling to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your journal and writing and lists! Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t