Skip to main content

January Books

My Five on Friday is a list of books that I had read and the last one  I just started.
My list of books look like a list of self-improvement and in some way they are. Maybe it had something to do with it being the start of a new year.
But that didn't last long, I'm ending the month with two books of fiction.


The Miracle Morning Audiobook
  • The Miracle Morning by Hal Enrod.  This book is about how something as simple as a small routine each morning can make a change in one's life. He uses the letters SAVERS to use as the reminder of what to do each day. A time of Silence. Affirmation. Visualization.  Exercise. Read. Scrip or write. The book itself was boring and like a sell pitch for himself. But the idea is a good one.

It Starts with Food Audiobook
  • It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. I would recommend this book. At times has some very technical nutritional information but they do explain it where it's understandable. At first I wasn't sure if I could do this for 30 days but I am and will tell more about my experience in my next post, which I'm almost done writing it.
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up Audiobook

  • The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. Maybe you would like it but I didn't. I thought it was a waste of time and money. That's the best I can say about this book.
Me Before You: A Novel | Jojo Moyes
  • Me Before You by JoJo Moyer. I so enjoyed this book.  Louisa goes to work for a man who is in a wheelchair with no will to live after a 6 months agreement with his parents. She ends up falling in love with him hoping that he felt the same way and would want to live past the agreed time. A heartfelt love story. Made me think what would I do in that situations. There is a sequel called After You. I plan on reading that one too.
Flash Audiobook
  • Flash, The Homeless Donkey by Rachel Anne Ridge. I will put here what the publisher wrote. I haven't gotten very far in the book to tell what I think.  
The heartwarming tale of an irrepressible donkey who needed a home - and forever changed a family.
Rachel Anne Ridge was at the end of her rope. The economy had crashed, taking her formerly thriving business along with it. She had been a successful artist, doing work she loved, but now she felt like a failure. How would her family pay their bills? What would the future hold? If only God would somehow let them know that everything was going to be all right... and then Flash the donkey showed up.
If there is ever a good time to discover a wounded, frightened, bedraggled donkey standing in your driveway, this wasn't it. The local sheriff dismissed Flash as "worthless". But Rachel didn't believe that, and she couldn't turn him away. She brought Flash into her struggling family during their darkest hour - and he turned out to be the very thing they needed most.
Flash is the true story of their adventures together in learning to love and trust; breaking down whatever fences stood in their way; and finding the strength, confidence, and faith to carry on. Prepare to fall in love with Flash: a quirky, unlikely hero with gigantic ears, a deafening bray, a personality as big as Texas, and a story you'll never forget.



Linking up 
With Amy at love made my home


Comments

  1. A very varied reading list. The 4th book sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many people having been raving about Tidying Up but I'm with you. I didn't like it at all. Heck, I'm not going to give up my fabric just because I haven't used it in a few years! (Ha ha)

    I reserved Flash from the library. If I don't like it at least I won't have spent money on it!

    Thanks for sharing your list. I'm always on the lookout for my next good book.

    Nancy.
    (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Me Before You. I read the sequel too--not as goos, but worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting list of books. I've heard so much about the Tidying up book, but haven't felt motivated to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a mixed bag of reading there. Glad that you enjoyed some of them, hope that the new one is good. Thank you for joining Five On Friday, happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! I'm always looking for new things to read. I've go the Moyes downloaded on my kindle already- but now I'm going to look the other ones up. Thanks for the list!
    Bronwyn
    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Me Before You, I have the follow-up but haven't read it yet. I don't want someone telling me how to tidy up, I need a bit of clutter, it's a home after all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t