Skip to main content

Slow Sunday

Brrr! 
Its cold outside.
My Sunday is trifold. It started out in the morning getting in a little bit of quilting in and just relaxing with a good cuppa coffee.



I am on the last of the pieced part of the quilt blocks 


after I am done with this one row of flying geese it's onto the border. 


Maybe this evening while watching Downton Abbey I'll be able to get in a good start of the border done.

Here in a bit we will go to Tulsa to visit my mother who has been in the hospital since Thursday. Which after  "the man of the place" and I will have a "date afternoon" and to go see a movie. We plan going see Leo DiCaprio's new movie Reverent. "The Man of The Place" will probably love it and I hope to also like it. It has gotten great reviews so far.

Image result for national soup month

Also seeing how January is national soup month. I have been searching for new soup recipes. I came across this one on the whole 30 website the other day. Parsnips and pear soup. I was a little skeptical about it seen how I could never imagine those two ingredients creating a yummy soup. So I gave it a shot seeing how I had a parsnip in the vegetable keeper and some pears out in the fridge in the garage. Let me tell you, it was good. If you like the autumn soup that they serve at Panera you will like this soup.
This recipe coming from the whole 30.com website, which they gave the recipe from a book called bowls of love by Ali Rakowski


Piping Parsnip & Pear
Serves: 4-5
Prep time: 20 minutes,
Cook time: 75 minutes

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. olive oil or other oil/fat of your choice
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 pears, peeled & chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 large parsnips (1 ½ lb.), peeled & chopped
3 cups bone broth or Whole30-approved broth/stock (or chicken stock)

1 tsp. olive oil or other oil/fat of your choice
½ cup raw, organic pumpkin seeds
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. cumin
Salt & pepper to taste
Instructions:

Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic, and sauté about 10 minutes until fragrant.
Add pears, celery, and parsnips. Stir well to combine and cook another 5 minutes.
Add stock and bring to a boil.
Cover and reduce heat. Cook for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a small pan over medium heat.
Add pumpkin seeds and toss to combine.
After 1-2 minutes, add cinnamon, paprika, and cumin.
Cook for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant, and then let cool.
When soup is done, let cool slightly and blend with immersion blender or food processor.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve piping hot with 1 Tbsp. of spiced pumpkin seeds on top.


So I believe I have no problems printing a copy right here for you besides I'll give a link also to the author of the book. So if you happen to try the soup, I would love to know what you think of it also. I thought it was very tasty even with the pumpkin seeds


Linking at at Kathy's Quilts

Comments

  1. I hope that all will be well for your Mother. Enjoy your date! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear your Mum is in hospital hope she will be on the mend soon. Love the sound of the soup, I have been trying out new recipes too. Enjoy your date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your Mom is doing better and will be out of the hospital soon. Your quilting is amazing and the soup sounds delicious. My husband is making a cabbage soup today that is smelling yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what a few hand quilting stitches do for a quilt. I wanted to go see that movie but hubby was not in the mood for it this weekend. The attack scene looks like it could be pretty realistic looking. Hope your mom gets out soon. Have fun on your date!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt. I like 30s repro fabrics. Enjoy the date. I haven't been to a movie since the 70s!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your beautiful quilt! The soup looks yummy. I can hardly wait to try it. Thank you for the recipe. I hope you enjoy the movie with Leo! The promos for it look crazy real with the bear attack.
    Prayers for your mom's healing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a lot of hand quilting you're giving that quilt. It looks wonderfully inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is beautiful! I hope your Mom only has a short stay in hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your mother is doing better. Sounds like you had a fun Sunday, though as cold as it was, I was glad we didn't have to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t