Skip to main content

Egg Recipe 2

This is the second recipe, with fifty more to go for the year.
This is how I make Frittata's and if you google for recipes there are 100's of them out there.
Once I learned the basic way of making them I realize that you can get as creative as you like, using what you have on hand. And since I have challenged myself to use as much from the pantry without going to the grocery store, this recipe is perfect.

  • The basic items needed are an oven proof pan, I use a cast iron skillet
  • Eggs, at least 6, I figure 2eggs per person is a good way to figure, but I do use more for a couple of reasons, I like to have this as leftovers the next day and since I have a good supply of fresh eggs, I need to find dishes to use them up on.
  • Meat, usually a pork product; bacon, ham, sausage or it could be any other type of meat. Could be something leftover that you have a small amount of because you only need around 1/2 cup.
  • Vegetables and it could be anything on hand. You can make one plain as you wish like just onions and mushroom or onion, ham and cheese or like me add everything but the kitchen sink theory. Which "the man of the place" refers to as "too healthy". Amounts can vary depending how much you like that item or what you are using. If you use a lot of different veggies, than you do not need as much, as I'll show in my example.
  • Cheese, any kind, use your favorite.
So this is how I make mine.

I looked around my freezer and fridge and this is what I came up with, yours of course will be different. and the next one I make will also.

 I had some frozen spinach, tomatoes and asparagus that I thawed out, a small sweet potato, small onion and a couple of links of Italian sausage. 

You will need to pre-heat your oven to 375

  1. In your frying pan, add a little oil of your choice and saute the veggies as you normally saute, with mine it's a sweet potato I wanted to give a little browning to, onions and the sausage. I cooked this for about 8 minutes on a medium heat.
   
       2. Then you will add your veggies,

  
 3.   While the veggies are cooking and just for a couple of minutes, enough to warm up and cook off any                                                                   juices that might be there. You will need to whip your eggs in a bowl or cup like I.

Since I have a good source of eggs and are they not so pretty,
I will use 6 whole eggs and 6 egg whites. But if you do not want to use a whole dozen, 8 eggs will be just fine.
Whip thoroughly, this will make your dish lighter and fluffier. Now some recipes will put milk or cream in the egg mixture and you can to make it stretch further. I would add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup.










Add the egg mixture to your pan, turn off heat cause we are making a Frittata and not an omelet. Being that we are baking this dish and not cooking it on the stove.
Now this is when you will also add the cheese.
I had both Cheddar and Feta

Now I'm using a cast iron skillet so my pan conduct heat very well so it does not need to stay in the oven as long as if you would using other kinds of pan.
Mine was in the oven for approx. 15 mins., until the cheese was nicely melted and lightly brown. The dish needs to be firm, you know that way it is cooked. It might take 20 minutes for other pans, just keep an eye on it.
When done take it out and let it set for just a few minutes. This dish is good served both warm and cold.
Serves 4-8


PREFECT!

 Bon appétit. 


Comments

  1. Oh Kat,
    You're making me hungry and I've already eaten my dinner... You are gonna be trouble for my waistline, I can tell. Awesome recipe. Have a great night. Thank you for linking up to the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your finished frittata does look absolutely perfect! :)
    I love making frittatas too. It's quick, easy and a great way to use up bits and pieces of leftovers from the fridge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t