Skip to main content

What's Up

Up on the design wall this fine Monday morning, is what I had been working on for the past few days and that was making the strip sets for the Red String Quilt.



They're not cut to the size needed for the blocks yet but even though, I'm not sure if I have enough made to finish the top. I know I don't have enough to do the border. 



Now the border in the book it's just a plain background fabric border but I thought about using a small string strip in between two background strips
And I'm also making mine a little larger than the one in the book I'm going to do it in a square 96" x 96"

That being said that will probably keep me busy all day. If I get bored or I do for some reason actually finished putting what I have prepped together, I need to work on October the Farmer's Wife blocks.

And also the Lime Pickles will be ready to can this afternoon or evening so I'll be needing to do that later today.
Now I want to tell you about my latest zucchini recipe. Ann over at fret not yourself had sent me a recipe for a dessert zucchini pie 



So yesterday afternoon I made zucchini pie I did alter a few things from her recipe based on time and like.


And you can see in her recipe you soak the zucchini slices coated in sugar overnight. Well I did not read my directions prior to wanting to make it, so I ended up doing it like some had mentioned on the Internet.
Which is to boil for just a few to get them softened somewhat not too soft, you still want them semi firm but not hard
 I did change a little from hers, two things.......
 recipe called for quite a bit of flour at the thickening I change that to less flour and added cream of tarter.


The other thing was her recipe called for a tablespoon of nutmeg and  I put close to a teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg in mine and personally I even thought that with too much, so I think I might cut it down to a half a teaspoon next time.
With all that said, it was amazing. You would not know it was zucchini. You would have thought it was an apple pie.
Now I did use the 1 1/2 cup of sugar but I used Truvia baking blend which is half Stevia  and half sugar. You know I think it could of even used a little bit more sweetener
But I think the next when I make this I will do a crumb topping on it. I like a crumb topping on my Apple pie and that might bring the sweetness level up and might not necessarily need that but if I was to make a 2 crust pie again I think I might.
So here is Ann's recipe and in red are the changes I made and again it's up to you what you want to do if you'd like all of that nutmeg




1.5 c. sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg 1 Tsp.
1/4 c. butter, softened & cut into small pieces
1/4 c. chopped pecans
1 lemon, juiced & zested
2.25 lbs unpeeled zucchini, about 4 medium
3/4 c. flour 1/4 c
add 1 1/2 Tbsp cream of tartar
unbaked pastry for a 2 crust, 10” pie 

In a large bowl, mix together first 6 ingredients. 
Peel, remove seeds and cut zucchini lengthwise into quarters. Then cut crosswise into slices as thin as possible. Add zucchini to sugar mixture mixing thoroughly. Refrigerate, covered, overnight to allow liquid to collect from zucchini.
Bring mixture to room temperature and gradually add flour, mixing lightly but thoroughly. 
Line a 10” pan with 2” sides with pastry. Add zucchini mixture. Place pastry on top, too. Seal edges. Cut vents into pastry. 
Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 1 hour or until crust is golden brown & zucchini has reached desired tenderness.
Serve warm with cheese or cold with ice cream or whipped cream.



Comments

  1. Love your string sets! The pie sounds very interesting and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is going to be amazing! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    And thanks for the recipe. Learning new things to make with a big crop of zucchini is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! Wonderful strings. I like your idea of inserting strings into the outer border.
    Thanks for reminding me of the recipe. I'm going to try it again soon. I used to make it frequently until the boys caught on that it was a VEGETABLE. Horrors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always such a beautiful quilt I am in awe of your skill. Love the zucchini pie idea, I will definitely be giving it a try but with a crumble top which I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have never heard of this zucchini pie! I'll have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tastes like apple pie? May have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t