Skip to main content

In the Veggie Patch

I need to get you up to speed on what's been going on in the garden. Since last week I was mainly trying to catch the groundhog and just keep it all watered.  So really did not have much to report. I did not plant any new crops but did harvest my first batch of pickling cucumbers
Just beautiful
Ever since than I have been picking every other day. I going to make and can some lime pickles. The plants are looking good.
They are in front of picture and the Okra are the shorter plants behind the cucumbers. Right now all I have are some good looking Okra plants, no blooms. You can not see the Eggplants behind the Okra, boy are they loaded with eggplants. Should be ready probably next week.

The groundhog did not like those crops, plus he did not like the Peppers and Purple Hull Peas.

Peppers, 3 different varieties.

Purple Hull Peas

The Purple Hull Peas are starting to bloom.

Now the Sweet Potatoes are starting to grow back. Mr Groundhog oh so liked the Sweet Potatoes along with the Green Beans and Sunflowers.

              Sweet Potatoes  

The Green Beans are blooming and the Sunflowers are still growing and some are forming flower heads.  The picture on the left you can see them growing down the middle of the bed. Some still have their stalks intact, where as some had been broken but are still fighting to stay alive. I think it is just amazing.

See the one on the right, stalk is broke.

Today I did get another bed of Green Beans planted and some Butternut Squash.

And I am still waiting for the tomatoes to ripen. It is a problem for many gardeners because of these hot temp and not cooling down enough at night, so they are not getting tomatoes. Not sure why my plants have been setting. The only thing I can think of is that I planted mine close together and they are very dense plants, so maybe being self shading is helping.
                                                                                                    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t