Skip to main content

Tough Times


This summer has been far from average.
We are having extreme heat in NE, oh heck, in all of Oklahoma. And it is causing a lot of problems. There is the pastures browning up, causing stress on the cattle. The plants outside are stressed, it taking a lot of water just to keep them alive. There is the man of the place stressing over it all and trying to work out in it. Which makes me stress.

And then there is "the girls".  The past couple of weeks has been stressful for them.

With this heat  it's causing the younger girls to shed some weight by losing feathers. The older girls (so like me) are hanging on to most of theirs. But with the heat and the invasion of snakes last week they are not laying as many of those beautiful eggs.



And also this heat has taken the life of a couple of the older hens. I lost two of them.

It is also affecting how the wildlife is acting.

Last night I went out to lock up the hen house and about half way out there I could here all this squawking going on. Now this is not normal and I was far enough from the house to get my 22. Just then the man of the place was driving up from checking on the herd

"There something in the hen house. Get the 22."  I yell at him

He takes off to the house.

By the time I had gotten to the hen house, "the girls" were flying and running in all directions out of the house and their yard. All I saw was the masked bandit climbing the fence and escaping.

Unfortunately it had enough time to kill one of the older girl and wound one of the younger ones.

"What happened" the man of the place asked

I was looking in the hen house at the time and told him about the raccoon escaping and the lost of one of the red hens. Could not tell at that time if there were anymore lost because they were everywhere. We were looking and gathering them up and putting them in the henhouse when he calls me over.

"Quiet and look up ontop of the house" he said while pointing.

I looked up and there were 4 young raccoons looking down at us. Apparently mom was teaching the kids how to raid a hen house and get a meal. We did nothing but go on trying to find the rest of  "the girls".  They were still in danger.
The little ones climbed down and ran away.

We were out there for over an hour gathering up the hens. And the great protector aka LOVE MACHINE was nowhere to be found. I figured he gave his life protecting his hens. Boy was I wrong. He was the one who was the furthest from the hen house. He is on our back porch sitting in my chair. Some protector.

We did not find them all that night. But thankfully in the morning 3 of them were out wondering in the yard.


It's just a tough time right now. I hope it is not as tough for you.

Till next time
Kat
=^..^-

P.S. I would like to just stay inside and sew.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t